AND INTERPRETIVE CENTER
The Arrowhead Lodge is now a National Historic Site and Forest Service Information Center. The struggle to preserve this Historic Site is a tribute to Dedicated Pioneer Families of the Poudre Canyon.
Formerly a guest resort, this 1930s rustic and historic log building nestled in the pines is located at 7,400 feet in elevation along a Scenic Byway and nationally recognized Wild and Scenic River. Summer site host volunteers (usually a couple) bring their RV and work full time, five days per week and live on site. Free full RV hook ups are available only in the summer. Off-season hosts commute locally and volunteer on weekends.
THE HISTORY OF ARROWHEAD
The Colorado State Land Board saw potential school income from the sale of cabin sites in Section 36 of Poudre Canyon, immediately west of Old Poudre City. The plat was registered in 1929 and went on the auction block. Carl Braffords purchased a portion of these lots, and it was here that the Braffords built their resort, Arrowhead Lodge. After the log Lodge was completed, the Braffords built five cabins in a semicircle behind the lodge and named them after Indian Tribes. The name plaques remain on the Cabins today.
It is believed that the Braffords opened their business in 1936 with the Lodge, store and 5 cabins in place. In 1946, Stan and Lola Case purchased the “resort”. They added the 6th cabin, porches and dining room and modern kitchen. Special care was given to matching the logs and architecture of the original structures. They also built the large high peaked ice house where they stored 25 tons of ice, cut off the Poudre River, usually in December, to keep food supplies cool throughout the Summer.
Arrowhead Lodge was formally entered on the National Register of Historic places on May 27th, 1992 with the dedication ceremony and plaque unveiling on June 19, 1993
Be sure to visit the Arrowhead Lodge Historic Visitors Center during your stay at Archer’s Poudre River Resort. The breakfast tables and chairs at Archer’s Poudre River Resort Lodge house were purchased from Arrowhead Lodge Restaurant and remain in the Lodge today.